Adding another HDD when all the plugs are taken

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Hey guys,

So basically I filled up my SSD and HDD and decided to add another 2TB. I received the HDD yesterday but forgot that all my SATA connectors were taken (SSd, HDD and optical drive). Is there any way I can more SATA plugs?

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Ok so adding an additional card is the best way to go?

I just realized I'll also need a power plug, any recommendation?

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
OK I'll buy these things next month (which is soon enough).

Thanks for your help guys :)

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
UPDATE:

The Sata card is arriving tomorrow with a Molex to Sata power cable (*2) which should be enough to do what I want. Funny story... I had thought about adding another HDD last year or the year before... And just forgot I had bought a 2TB HDD at that time :D
So tomorrow I will add 4TB to my system... :D

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
@Punk You need to be EXTREMELY careful with a Molex to SATA power converter. I've seen those catch on fire more times than you would believe and destroy SSD's and hard drives. Honestly I'd buy a new PSU before using one of those. They're a downright hazard.

johnb35

Administrator
I've used them before and as long as the prongs are snug in the molex, you should be fine. I haven't had one go bad.

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
I've used them before and as long as the prongs are snug in the molex, you should be fine. I haven't had one go bad.
Feel free to create your own fire hazard but they are 100 percent a bad idea. The burned part was the SATA connector not where the Molex connector is. Remember I used to sell them and I had numerous complaints from people about this (including 2 employees that had their SSD's get fried and pretty sure they know how to seat a Molex connector).

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Damn! Thanks for pointing that out... I have already purchased and installed them and buying another PSU is a little over my budget... I'll keep an eye on them!