BF4 360 controller not recognized on Windows 10

Motorcharge

VIP
VIP
Best answers
Reposting this because OCN is useless these days. Standard wired 360 controller. Worked just fine on Windows 7 in Battlefield 4 but on Windows 10 I can't get the game to recognize it and Google has been pretty useless. From what I've read the game is likely detecting another USB device as a controller or joystick and only letting it be used but I can't figure out what it's detecting. The only hardware I didn't have before is my Corsair USB headset but I tried unplugging it and nothing changed. I have a high lot of items come up on my Device Manager and I'd really like to sort this out without having to disable them one by one.

Here's what I currently have plugged in to the computer via USB.

360 controller
Corsair K70
Corsair Glaive
Corsair Void headset
NZXT Hue+ via USB header

Below is a screenshot of my device list.

One thing I do notice is that the 360 controller doesn't come up under Human Interface Devices and instead is in it's own category at the bottom. I've also tried checking for driver updates for it and the current one is up to date. The controller works fine in other games including Battlefield 1.

johnb35

Administrator
Best answers
If it works fine in other games then I would have to assume a game configuration issue?

Motorcharge

VIP
VIP
Best answers
Apparently with BF4 the game will only recognize one input device like a controller, joystick, gamepad, ect and uses whatever it detects first in your HID list. From what I've read online a lot of people had this problem and fixed it by simply unplugged whatever device was first in the list or disabling it and apparently Windows 7 would show it as a joystick in that list.

My problem is that I don't have a second device that should be reading as a joystick or anything. Just my headset, keyboard, and mouse. In W10 that list has the same icon for everything and shows far more devices than I actually have. Even trying to look at the driver details on the majority shows nothing relevant, just a generic driver assigned by Windows. I had the same mouse, keyboard, headset, and 360 controller on Windows 7 and it worked just fine, now on 10 it doesn't.

I was hoping maybe something on that list would stand out to someone so I wouldn't have to go through and disable/renable each device in the list one by one because it requires a restart every time. That's 52 restarts I'd rather not deal with lol

Motorcharge

VIP
VIP
Best answers
Well nevermind, I figured it out finally. Monect Hid Device. It's for an app on my phone that lets me use my phone a keyboard and mouse (and joystick). I thought that might have been it months ago but closing the program out never did anything. Tried it again today and nothing, couldn't disable it or anything in Device Manager either. However, uninstalling the program allowed me to disable and remove the driver entirely and that ended up being what was detected first.

I think the biggest difference between 7 and 10 is that 10 doesn't recognize the 360 controller as an HID and instead puts it way at the bottom of the Device Manager as an Xbox 360 peripheral. I imagine it's the same case in W8.