Can I choose my ISP's server location??

novicegeek

At the risk of sounding stupid, here goes…

So, our ISP said they doubled our internet speed for the same price as we're paying now. Great! But, I did a speed test, and we were pulling around 50 Mbps (not what they said we got, and about 50 Mbps less than what we had previously). But as I toyed with it, I found that was from a server in our town. Then I ran a test using a server about 70 miles down the road, and we're hitting up to 224 Mbps - huge difference. That location consistently gives speeds in the 200 range.

Well, I'd like to use this other server all the time. Is there a way to change to that server instead of the local one? I’m assuming that is a good idea, and I'm hoping it's possible.

I’ve read some stuff about changing your DSN settings. I don’t suppose this is along the lines of what I’m trying to do, is it? I haven’t gotten that far in my Networking for Dummies book (yes, I actually have the book).

Your input would be welcomed and appreciated!

johnb35

Administrator
Are you using speedtest.net to run your test? You can also use spectrum own speedtest site here.

Sounds like the server you are doing the speedtest from is reporting the wrong speed. Changing your dns servers won't change internet speed.

novicegeek

Wow, I was using speedtest.net, and my ISP is Spectrum. You're not behind me right now, are you? j/k

I used Spectrum's test, and it seems to be okay - all in the 200s. It appears all is well on this end after all. But, that's what brings me here, and what keeps me coming back. I thank you kindly, sir.

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
The server that speed test picks isn't your ISP's server necessarily, you can set it to any server in the country/world and the results you get are your connection speed with that server. Typically your ISP's servers and geographically close servers will get you the best speeds.

We can tell your ISP since we can see IP's as mods. :D