CCleaner Pro's deceptive licensing practice

Intel_man

Supermoderator
Best answers
So, I've been sifting through info relating to CCleaner's Pro license and came across a thread on their forums asking about the "lifetime key" expiring.

Source: https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52694-ccleaner-pro-lifetime-licence-why-has-it-expired/

tl:dr version = Their website doesn't explicitly specify that the auto-update and support help lasts only 1 year. (Other Pro features are still available after 1 year and your key has expired). EULA at the time of purchase pre-2015 does not specify this clause. It was then determined that after Avast has purchased the company that this change was made and customers are furious that there was no communication related to this change in service and no grandfathered in plans are in place for those who purchased before the sneaky change in terms of service.

johnb35

Administrator
Best answers
For one, I don't understand why people have to pay for software like this. There are always free programs that will do the same thing that the paid version of something will do.

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
For one, I don't understand why people have to pay for software like this. There are always free programs that will do the same thing that the paid version of something will do.
For many people, buying a software rather than using a free one equals better quality and support in case of problems... That is obviously wrong ;)

Intel_man

Supermoderator
Best answers
I mean... personally I wouldn't pay for CCleaner Pro, but I do use the free version of it.

Still kinda dodgy practice for their paying customers though.

Cromewell

Administrator
Best answers
The first google hit for pc cleaner is ccleaner, and it's a nice professional looking site.

Plus their goofy table of features. If I'm say my mom, or someone who otherwise doesn't know any better (i.e. I was told to get this software on a forum) the addons sound pretty good.

FREEPROFESSIONAL
BEST VALUE

PROFESSIONAL BUNDLE
UP TO 3 PCS
Faster Computer
Control which apps use your computer's resources
YESYESYES
Privacy Protection
Removes tracking files and browsing data
YESYESYES
New: Software Updater
Quickly updates apps to reduce security vulnerabilities