Dual booting . Cannot boot on Windows 10 on one of the two partitions of the same HDD.

ittiandro

Best answers
I have partitioned my HDD and installed /cloned Windows 10 Home OS on both, the idea being that if one OS fails I can switch to the other identical one. Both OS show on the dual boot prompt, but unfortunately only one OS boots. I tried just about everything.How can I get them both booting, either one or the other?

It is odd, because on the same partition of the same HDD I used to have Windows 7 along with Windows 10 and I could boot on both if I wanted. but I removed Windows7.

Any help ?

Thanks

Ittiandro

johnb35

Administrator
Best answers
It's because your boot files are now corrupted because you removed windows 7. Use the windows 10 installation media and choose to repair your OS, it should re create the boot files.

Or you can try this.

ittiandro

Best answers
Thanks

' I tried. I have two OS boot options on the same HDD, one of which, as you know, doesn’t boot probably because of the MBR..

I tried to repair it with the installation disc, as you suggested, but it points to partition c:\, which is the one that boots OK. It is therefore of no use . The one that needs to be fixed is drive ( partition) d:\ on the same HDD, but if I point to it nothing happens. Just a black screen. So I am back to square 1.

By the way , when I look at the Mini Parttion Tool app, the scroll down menu has an option to set it inactive, so I infer that it is active. Is this perhaps the problem? I don’t want to mess around too much with this stuff, because if I don’t know exactly wjat I am doing, I risk to get entanglrd in other problems. The last snag, it took me two days to fix it.

Thanks for your help

Ittiandro

johnb35

Administrator
Best answers
So both partitions are windows 10? I think the problem lies to where you actually cloned it to drive D instead of actually installing it to drive d and the mbr is not reading correctly. I haven't dual booted in years so I can't physically check to see if the first partition is the only active one or if both are.

But to be honest, I'm not sure this is the way to go. Running Raid 1 is really what you want to do as the second drive automatically mirrors the first. You'll need 2 hard drives the same size. Does your computer support Raid? Is it a custom built pc? If not, you can buy a pci express raid card and do it that way. Besides, if something happens to the drive itself, neither partition will be useful.

ittiandro

Best answers
Yes, I too thought that cloning Windows 10 from partition C:\ to partition D:\ instead of installing it from the disc may be the problem, but then I didn't want to have to start from scratch and reinstall all the apps.
Since I have a drive image of partition C;\ with Acronis, perhaps it would solve the problem if I installed Windows 10 on partition D:\ by recovering the Acronis image. Would it help?

Thanks

Ittiandro

johnb35

Administrator
Best answers
But as I said, that's the whole idea of running raid 1. I believe this is gonna have to be your only option. That way anything you save or install to c drive will be mirrored to the second drive. If you somehow get your current setup working, the 2 partitions will never be an exact match.

When actually installing a second OS, it automatically setups the dual boot menu and the proper bar for either OS to boot. At this point I'm not sure you'll be able to get this working.

ittiandro

Best answers
Thanks
I am not familiar with Raid, but from what I read it looks a bit too involved. If the drive fails, I have all the necessary BUP's on an external drive including an Acronis system image. I'll make do with what I have for the moment.

If the HDD fails I'll buy a new HDD , assuming that the cable and connections can fit the old computer with some sort of adapters, if needed. and that I can recover the Acronis image taken on the previous older HDD.
My computer, I must admit, is kind of old, probably 10 years but I am not working for the NASA or the FBI, after all and I won't buy a new computer for just a few milliseconds more speed.

Thanks

Ittiandro