Firewatch, a small review while playing it

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Hey yall!

This is going to be a pretty small review of the game as I'm still playing it. If needed, I could stream the game on Youtube but there are already tons of video of it online. Keep in mind that this will be very subjective, unlike the music reviews where I try to be as objective as possible. Sooo what is this game about?

First of all, this game is one where the storyline is very important. I will try not to spoil anything but basically, after a few problems in your life, you end up in the middle of a National Park as a Firewatch ranger. As everything starts out normal, it goes crescendo into a crazy story where psychology is pretty important. Why? Well the only interaction with the outside World is a Walki Talki and whenever you interact with the person on the other hand of the line, you have a few options of answers. I've also found online that you can act differently to the situations you encounter. Although this won't change the storyline (I think), it will change the reaction of the people involved, therefore have an impact on your feeling of your actions. Also, keep in mind that your movement and directions depend on your skill of reading a map with a compass, which I find awesome as mountain sport lover.

In terms of graphics, the Developpers didn't go for realistic, but rather cartoonesque, although not ugly at all. The general feeling of the audio and visuals really allows you to concentrate on the story. In terms of time of gameplay, I read that a good 3-5 hours is needed to complete the story, so that's a pretty small game.

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who wants a good storyline, loves mountain sceneries and wants a good calm solo game :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/383870/Firewatch/

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
A little update as I've finished the game:

Without giving any spoilers, I'll start by saying that I had lots of fun playing this. BUT, the ending was a bit disappointing although completely plausible and logical. If I were to rate this game on a scale of 1 to 10, I would give this an awesome 9/10 as I was hooked until the end. The last time I've enjoyed a storyline that much was probably for Alan Wake, so it was a long time ago :)