It's that time again

johnb35

Administrator
Needing to give my R9 380 to GF so she can play her Star Wars game. I'm looking at either 8gb 570 or 580. Whats the best brand and card to get? I miss my FPS games really bad.

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
AMD Radeon!? why

Isn't there also a 590 now?
Because Nvidia is a shitty company.

There is.

Needing to give my R9 380 to GF so she can play her Star Wars game. I'm looking at either 8gb 570 or 580. Whats the best brand and card to get? I miss my FPS games really bad.
Sapphire 580 or 590 Nitro is what I'd do.

Edit: It would seem I can't even merge posts anymore... Would it kill ya guys to give my admin stuff back?

johnb35

Administrator
AMD Radeon!? why

Isn't there also a 590 now?
Why not? My budget won't go for a 1070/2070.
Sapphire 580 or 590 Nitro is what I'd do.

Edit: It would seem I can't even merge posts anymore... Would it kill ya guys to give my admin stuff back?
I'm really wanting the 580, while the 590 would be nice I think its overkill for what I do. Darren, you should be able to merge no problem. I'll try looking at permissions though. Moderating allows merging.

Says you are able to merge. Got a screenshot of error?

Last edited:

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Oh the UI pops up way down at the bottom, didn't even catch it last time since it color matches our design.

Carry on.

580 is probably fine, you're at 1080p 60HZ anyway right?

johnb35

Administrator

Intel_man

Supermoderator
4k resolution is just hard to run at 60fps for AAA titles. Just the nature of the beast when you have to render 4 times the amount of pixels on screen. You can always try to game on med settings at 4k with a RX580, but doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of playing games at 4k?

Hell, my GTX1080 doesn't even run 4k that well if you turn up the graphical settings to max. 1080ti can handle it no problem tho.

If you plan to run that RX580 on 1080p, it's perfectly fine. You'll probably even be satisfied at 1440p. I just wouldn't get a 580 to play at 4k. It might run those esports games tho at 4k. I'd have to check some benchmarks for that.

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Yeah you need top of the line cards to push 4K. Frankly I think you get diminishing returns after 1440p and opt for an Ultrawide or higher refresh rate than jumping resolution.

Cromewell

Administrator
If you plan to run that RX580 on 1080p, it's perfectly fine. You'll probably even be satisfied at 1440p. I just wouldn't get a 580 to play at 4k. It might run those esports games tho at 4k. I'd have to check some benchmarks for that.
If you're running 1080p even a lower specced card probably isn't terrible. I have no issues running stuff (admittedly nothing cutting edge) on my 1060.

Intel_man

Supermoderator
The GTX1060* is pretty much on par/ahead of the RX580 in most games. Unless recent drivers have changed that.

*That is of course if you got the 6GB version.

johnb35

Administrator
Ok, I've decided to pull the trigger on the Sapphire video card since the sale ends tonight at midnight. As far as the monitor goes, it will be a few months down the road maybe for my birthday in June. Would be nice to get a 32" 1440P 144hz Freesync monitor so I've been looking at Newegg, Amazon and Microcenter. Fry's doesn't have much to choose from so they are out. Maybe wall mountable?

Whats your opinions of the curved monitors? I've seen a few and I'm not sure if I would like them or not. A lot of the monitors that match what I want are curved. I really hate making decisions like this. But I guess I'll have time to really check out monitors the next time I'm at Microcenter.

Hopefully they will have this one on display. Just wished it had a 3 year warranty but it only has a 1 year.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/510553/32gk650f-b-32-wqhd-144hz-dp-hdmi-freesync-gaming-led-monitor

Intel_man

Supermoderator
As far as the monitor goes, it will be a few months down the road maybe for my birthday in June. Would be nice to get a 32" 1440P 144hz Freesync monitor so I've been looking at Newegg, Amazon and Microcenter. Fry's doesn't have much to choose from so they are out. Maybe wall mountable?
32" isn't a popular size for 1440p. You won't have many options. 27" is generally the frequent size for 1440p and 34" for the ultrawide variant.
Whats your opinions of the curved monitors? I've seen a few and I'm not sure if I would like them or not. A lot of the monitors that match what I want are curved. I really hate making decisions like this. But I guess I'll have time to really check out monitors the next time I'm at Microcenter.
I can see why people want curved for ultrawide, but even then that's only if you sit like 12" from the screen. Curved on 16:9 monitors is dumb.