PC turns on but there is no Display on the Monitor

What’s up everyone, I’m quite new to the community and will try to make this post interesting lol.
Play this as you read:

I built my firs PC back 2 years ago which was something I’ve wanted since High School. Recently my pc has started giving me issues, and please keep in mind I am not a tech savvy guru. It all started when my monitors decided not to project an image, there is usually one post beep whenever I turned on the pc, but this time there was dead silence. The fans spunned graciously and the blue LEDs on my case illuminated my dark room ( told you it would be interesting ) lol.

To cut to the chase, my pc won’t show any images whatsoever. I’ve checked for faulty wires, my monitors displays an image when I replug it in the power outlet, but doesn’t want to read my hdmi or dvi slots on my pc, I’ve tried to reset cmos, and I replaced the motherboard and rewired everything again. I purchased the motherboard after consulting with my local “pc professionals”. They claimed it had to be the mother board, they came to this conclusion after realizing there was no post beeps when they took out the ram. If I’m not mistaken it usually beeps 2 or 3 times to indicate that issue. My guess is the processor but I could be utterly wrong.

I’m posting this in hopes that if this issue does get resolved, whoever does research this in the future can stumble upon this post and hopefully have solution to there issue. It would definitely be economically beneficial in terms of energy and time.

Ps. I apologize to those who thought this post was going to be an epic on how my pc stopped working or something.

johnb35

Administrator
First of all, thank you for joining our forum. Enjoy your stay.

Yeah, when you remove the ram and try starting up it should beep quite a few times in succession and keep going. It's very possible that the motherboard is grounding out on the case somewhere. A standoff might not be in the right spot. What you should do is build it outside of the case on a piece of cardboard and see what happens. Doing this will tell you a lot. It also could be any piece of hardware not causing the pc to start up like a bad hard drive, dvd drive or any external hardware attached to system. Basically just attach cpu, ram and video card and see what happens.

First of all, thank you for joining our forum. Enjoy your stay.

Yeah, when you remove the ram and try starting up it should beep quite a few times in succession and keep going. It's very possible that the motherboard is grounding out on the case somewhere. A standoff might not be in the right spot. What you should do is build it outside of the case on a piece of cardboard and see what happens. Doing this will tell you a lot. It also could be any piece of hardware not causing the pc to start up like a bad hard drive, dvd drive or any external hardware attached to system. Basically just attach cpu, ram and video card and see what happens.
Thanks for the response John!

Quick update, after I had posted my original post I went ahead and turned on my pc. It ran for roughly 15 minutes and beeped 5 times and restarted itself. I watched as it did this process 4 or 5 times. I honestly feel like I’m close to fixing the issue. The beeps were probably each about 1 second. I’m going to look into this when I get off from work, and take ur advice and try to rebuild it.

Intel_man

Supermoderator
Usually 5 beeps would suggest a CMOS battery issue, but being that it is a new motherboard, that's an unlikely case.

What kind of specs is your system?

Usually 5 beeps would suggest a CMOS battery issue, but being that it is a new motherboard, that's an unlikely case.

What kind of specs is your system?
Thanks for the response!

I took apart the pc as John said and noticed a screw that did not look like it was holding the mobo against the case. My friend was saying that minor stuff like that could effect it is this true? And my specs are

Radeon R9 380
Intel I3 3.7ghz
8gb of ram
^^^i hope this is “specs”

PS are rams usually hard to get in their slots? I have a Gigabyte h110m-a motherboard. When I first built it with my friend it didn’t seem that hard to get in but now it does.

johnb35

Administrator
Yes, a loose screw or misplaced standoff can cause all sorts of issues with a system. On some motherboards, memory can be a bit tricky to insert. Just make sure they are aligned up with the slot before pushing down. Some motherboards have clips that release on both sides while others only have it on one side. Memory can only be inserted one way because of the notch. From the image of the motherboard on Newegg, it seems the top clips are the release only. When inserting the memory align them with the bottom and then push at the top to get it to click.

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Yeah definitely, I had a similar case when I built my computer where the screen would not show anything. It turned out to be a standoff that was misplaced. Once that was resolved, everyhting went fine :)

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Did this issue just start out of the blue?

When you say 5 beeps do you mean like 5 beeps each time it tries to start or just 5 beeps in total, 1 for each attempt?

Welcome by the way. :)