Should I Make a Storage Server?

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
Hey all. I've been wanting to get myself a media storage for a while as my ever increasing digital collection is about to fill my 1TB external and I'd like something a bit more permanent that I can also access remotely. When my brother recently did his big upgrade he left me an FX 8320, 970A motherboard, 8GB DDR3, and a GTX 760. Obviously these are remnants of an old gaming system but I figured I might toss them into a media server. Granted these parts aren't the most practical, and I'd like something more power efficient for the CPU and GPU, but free is free.

Is it worth it for me to buy a standard, case, PSU, storage drives, and make this into a media server or would it be a waste of time/money? I'd like to just get a new setup but with prices of RAM and what not, figured I'd roll with these used parts.

My primary usage will just be parking saved movies/TV Shows and being able to access them without my local network and if possible, anywhere. Thoughts?

Cromewell

Administrator
Best answers
Usually the primary consideration for storage machines is # of disks. You can always supplement with add-in cards. Are all 970As 6 SATA port? It's probably a fine start, but keep in mind if you want to move to a bigger setup later raid doesn't transfer all that well to a new controller. You could run freenas off a usb stick plugged into the box, and use all the on-board sata connectors for storage.

CPU and video should be mostly idle, so the power draw there shouldn't be too terrible.

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
Yeah this is just something I'd kind of do to hold me over for a year or so and give me a place to park stuff. I'd honestly probably only need like a 120GB SSD and a 4TB HDD or something. Would like to mess around with Linux too.

Course now I'm thinking if I'm gonna buy a case might as well upgrade my current one and use it for the server. :D

johnb35

Administrator
Best answers
If you had a proper network setup, you could use a router that has usb storage on it. But we all know those ATT routers suck really bad. :eek:

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
Yeah I'm going to be moving out in the next 2-3 months and try to get my own network/homelab going. Just waiting to get it in writing that my job is permanent as officially I'm only there temporarily to help move offices. Since I've got disposable income right now I figured I'd do this before I was on my own. Just ordered a new case for my main rig so gonna throw the server into my old Phantom 410.

Intel_man

Supermoderator
Best answers
Why not just get a NAS? Honestly... those things are super power efficient and depending on which one you get, is very capable and modular in expansion options.

Darren

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
Why not just get a NAS? Honestly... those things are super power efficient and depending on which one you get, is very capable and modular in expansion options.
Yeah a NAS would definitely be more practical but I want to just have a second machine that I can use for testing/messing around with and learning stuff and it'll likely serve as an HTPC once I move out. I'm basically clueless with Linux and want to dabble with that as I don't have any of that at work.

Cromewell

Administrator
Best answers
The nice thing with a freenas/synology/other vendors is that while they run Linux, you get a web interface that lets you control everything without having to learn stuff like mdadm and what not.