UPS battery not charging

I have an older model Tripp Lite Smart1000LCD UPS. The battery had done died on me a good while ago. But, I ordered a new battery, and put it in. It's been about 22 hours that this thing has charged, but when I turn it on, the normally bright blue screen is a dim gray (or black), and it only shows one block on the display's
status bar. I've heard that you need to charge these types of batteries for 24 hours, but I can imagine something magical is going to happen in the next two hours that will bring it to full charge. The battery was ordered from a recommended Tripp Lite dealer, and even has the Tripp Lite logo on the battery.

Do you think I've done something wrong? The UPS is plugged in, but nothing is attached to it yet. I was kind of waiting for it to fully charge, but that doesn't seem to be happening, at least not on a time schedule I imagined.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
I would contact where you bought it from. Doesn't seem like its charging. Sure its compatible to the UPS?

I'll tell ya what, take it back apart and see that the connection is good, and give it 48 hours. If it doesn't improve, I'll call the company. Where I bought the battery was found in a link on the Tripp Lite website, with that particular battery, so I'm sure they sent me the correct one, but I'll double check that too. Hopefully, I'll have some resolution soon.

Thanks to you both.

Cromewell

Administrator
The spec sheet says 16 hours from 10% to 90%. Something sounds wrong. Is the replace battery indicator on?

johnb35

Administrator
Can you physically test the power output of the battery? That might tell you if its the battery or the indicator is bad.

I'm sorry to bother you guys on this one. For some reason, I didn't think to just get in contact with Tripp Lite themselves. I created a request ticket and, from our exchange, I think the solution to the problem was fairly simple. The UPS needs to be powered on to charge. Dummy me, I didn't do that, so it wasn't charging. The bar is moving up now.

I'm sure everyone figured I knew better. In describing my adeptness with hands-on matters, I have often described myself as "mechanically retarded" (no offense intended to anyone, of course - if you know me, it's fairly descriptive). I guess I can add "electronically" to that list as well - hence my forum moniker (emphasis on the novice).

Incidentally, I was really impressed with Tripp Lite's customer service. The UPS (a Smart1000LCD) is probably 10 years old, though the battery I purchased from them is new. But they really took time to diagnose the problem and deliver a solution. Kind of refreshing these days.

I appreciate all of your input. I learn a lot from you guys. Some day, maybe, I'll be able to graduate from novice to just plain geek.