What are you playing? (Console version)

porterjw

Administrator
Similar to the Thread in PC Gaming (https://pctechforum.net/forum/threads/what-are-you-playing.38/), this is specific to consoles.

Took advantage of the PS Store and Square Enix sales and picked up a ton of games for the PS4. Finally got around to playing Journey (in one sitting). Beautiful game, but with no tutorial you really sort of learn as you go. Only one type of enemy and there only 3-4 of them in the entire game. It's more of a guided visual story.

Also bit the bullet and picked up Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 Remix and Kingdom Hearts 2.8. One of my friends found out I had never played any of them (despite me wanting to for well over 10 years) and gave me 'the look'. At $40 for everything HD remastered up to this point, I just did it.

Bought a lot more and at this point I probably have 20 games between physical discs and downloaded titles waiting to be played. I think maybe I'll have time to really start something either after summer or if I decide to take a week or two vacation.

johnb35

Administrator
My son loved to play Kingdom Hearts, not sure if he still does though. More of a kids then an adults game though I think.

porterjw

Administrator
So I started No Man's Sky again after the newest upgrade (Next, version 1.52/1.53).

I've had a love/hate relationship with this game since the release. Original was crap, but I saw the potential so I waited a bit and gave it a shot. The Pathfinder update was amazing and I even started a fresh game, which I played through to completion (won't spoil, but I was in a very 'tranquil' place). Thinking I had done all that needed to be done and things were gong to be *very* repetitive moving forward, I shelved it to start some other stuff I had going on.

Fast-forward to last week. In the small amount of time I had between work, Forum-related stuff, and life in general, I installed and logged into the 'Next' update. I immediately noticed upon login that there were major differences and I had no idea what the heck was going on with all the new tech and features, so I created a new save file and started fresh. All I can say is *wow*! Actually, no...let's make that *WOW!* Some good things, some bad things, but the game as a whole is just...*WOW*... Basically everything that was leaked leading up to the initial release two years ago has been fulfilled. Just as the Pontiac G8 is what the the 2004 GTO *should* have been, NMS Next is the experience the original game should have offered on it's release date.

And to be clear: NMS is not a space combat game as some sites have dinged it on for not being; this is basically Minecraft in a space setting, and with a (humanly speaking) infinite landscape to create your impression on. If anyone wants a more in-depth actual review of combat/crafting/exploration systems let me know and I'll see what I can do.