What are you playing? (PC version)

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
Yeah it's a very good simulation. DO you play with HOTAS?

porterjw

Administrator
Best answers
Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X.

It's entry-level, but I'm not super into the game (yet?). Last time I played was about three weeks ago and that was the first time in maybe 2 months? Really all I've been doing is random runs between two or three systems getting a feel for flight operations, docking and whatnot. I've done a few perfect approach/landings, but the last time was just abysmal. Even I was thinking 'dude, that was horrible' to myself!

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
Nice!

Yeah it's a game that takes time to master basics... I would suggest joining a player faction, makes the game so much better :)

beers

Best answers
Moved my racing seat up into the office, been going hard into iRacing including the dirt mode which is a lot of fun.

I'm a sucker for the Canadian course Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, however. Pretty swanky in a 911 GT3 or downforce car.

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
Just started Firewatch. Holy **** that story is great!

porterjw

Administrator
Best answers
@Punk I started Elite again about a week ago just to numb my mind from work stuff and I think I fell deep into the rabbit hole this time. Been practicing different button configurations and doing the tutorial missions, as well as just general flying/docking/combat. Going to start a fresh game later today I think and really have a go with it this time. What's your Commander name?

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
Exploited38 in game. I have more than 1100 hours in this game now :D
Been a lot into PvE and PvP, fitted a Mamba, such a fun spaceship! :)

porterjw

Administrator
Best answers
I'm still in the starting systems area. I cleared my save a few times just to try different ships. I would fly to a resource site and pick off the pirates after the system forces did most of the work so I could get the bounties and try different load outs. Not sure what I really love ship and weapon-wise, but at least now I know what I dont like. Maneuvering is much easier now that I'm getting the hang of it, but still misjudge distances in supercruise and overshoot stations sometimes.

porterjw

Administrator
Best answers
Exploited38 in game. I have more than 1100 hours in this game now :D
Been a lot into PvE and PvP, fitted a Mamba, such a fun spaceship! :)
Just sent a request. I took all the training and testing over the past week or so and started a new game yesterday. I've been doing courrier and bounty missions and have about 3 million credits. Think I'll leave the starting area Monday evening and venture into the galaxy. I've been reading up on the ship types and I think the Viper Mk3 outfitted like crazy would be good for a bit.

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a time sink I wasn't fully planning on... :oops::rolleyes:

Cromewell

Administrator
Best answers
I tried to get into that game. Couldn't do it. The curve was more like a cliff

porterjw

Administrator
Best answers
I tried to get into that game. Couldn't do it. The curve was more like a cliff
Pretty much. It really just puts you in a ship and you figure things out from there, hence why I restarted so many times. Once you figure things out it gets easier and very fun. Give it another shot!

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
Watch tutorials to learn how to play the game. It's hard, but once you get the hang it's so much fun. I'm currently in a player faction war so I'm using my Mamba in conflict zones, so much fun. Are you CMDR Tiva?

Oh and yes, it is time consuming ;)

I would recommend joining a player faction too, so much better than playing alone.

porterjw

Administrator
Best answers
Yes, Tiva is me. Use that name for pretty much every game I play.

Cromewell

Administrator
Best answers
Watch tutorials to learn how to play the game.
I tried. It kind of bothered me that the in game tutorials were just youtube links to people playing. I don't really have the time to sink into it these days.

Punk

Founding Member
Supermoderator
Best answers
The game has become much easier than it was before to learn how to play it, but it still remains a complex spaceship simulation I agree. After more than 1200 hours, there are still aspects of the game I haven't played and lore I haven't found yet :)

This is not a game you casually play 30 min or an hour every two weeks I give you that :D , but that's also the whole point of it, it's complex and "full".

Cromewell

Administrator
Best answers
This is not a game you casually play 30 min or an hour every two weeks I give you that :D , but that's also the whole point of it, it's complex and "full".
I don't mind complex sims, but I do appreciate a gentler introduction. If I had 4+ hours a week to play it I might be more inclined but I think the longest I've sat down to game in the last couple years was an hour. Maybe when the boy gets older, but at 2.5 it's not really his thing.