Which is preferable

novicegeek

Hey folks, I've got an antivirus program called F-Secure, that is free, though my ISP (Spectrum aka Charter). I haven't had much problem with it, but it does chew up the memory considerably. I'm assuming that is somewhat of a problem for all of programs of that type, to some degree.

But, my question is, as far as internet security goes, would I be just as well off with a free anti-virus program (AVG, Avast, Bitdefender, etc.), or am I better off sticking with F-Secure? BTW, I also have Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner on my system for when I need it (and I tried to download Junkware Removal Tool a couple of times, but it gave me a BSOD). But, I digress... for this post, I'm just interested in keeping bad stuff off the computer through an effective anti-virus program. What would be your recommendations?

Thanks for the advice. I gotta ask, because I'm not well-versed in the internet security area... yet.

johnb35

Administrator
and I tried to download Junkware Removal Tool a couple of times, but it gave me a BSOD)
Junkware removal tool is no longer valid to use. You can try the other free programs and see how well you like them with memory and cpu usage. Bitdefender free is highly rated. How much ram and what cpu do you have?

johnb35

Administrator
You have plenty of ram and a fast enough processor to cover any antivirus program. As I said, just try a few and see which you like best. I'm happy with Avast but may try Bitdefender one of these days.

Intel_man

Supermoderator
I've only heard good things about Bitdefender. Was pretty tempted to get their Total Security product at one point.