Windows 10 Windows 10 Tips and Tricks

johnb35

Administrator
Best answers
This thread will be used to post any cool and exciting tricks with windows 10. I'll post the first one.

1. Since build 1809 and you go through the initial setup after installing windows while the ethernet cable is connected or wireless is connected to your network, you will only be able to create an MS account and not a local account. In order to create a local account, you must not be connected to your network during the initial setup. So when setup asks you to connect to your network, don't do it. You can connect when the desktop loads. It so happens I came across this little quirk late last week. I did an online search and found an article about it on reddit.

So it sounds MS is really wanting to control what type of account you should create.

Cromewell

Administrator
Best answers
It seems to also not let you transfer your digital license from your previous build if you are doing that. I just had to get a new key for my wife's machine because the troubleshooter and phone support wouldn't transfer the key without me knowing what the W7 key originally was. As if I kept that from 10 years ago. It may be worth keeping an old build around for installs and updating afterwards.

johnb35

Administrator
Best answers
So it had 10 on it previously from an upgrade and you reinstalled and it wouldn't activate? That sucks. I got to see what earlier build iso's I have.

Cromewell

Administrator
Best answers
It was essentially a whole new build. I figured I was going to have trouble activating but I didn't anticipate them not transferring the digital license. I offered to read them the serial numbers off the old hardware to prove I wasn't trying to steal a license from someone but without the W7 key they wouldn't do it.